October 7, 1946: Dr. E. H. MacKinlay was a guest of the Green Hill Civic Club where he discussed the need and possibility of establishing a clinic or maternity home in Fulton County.
February 21, 1947: The Fulton County Medical Center was tentatively organized.
April 17, 1947: Land donated to build the center by Mrs. Chris Shimer and Mr. Merrill Nace at the 216 South First Street location.
April 17, 1947: Board of Directors elected: Mr. James Kendall, Mr. J Edwin Palmer, Mrs. J.J. Palmer, Mr. William Wakefield, Mrs. Max Mellott, Miss. Blanche Swope, Mrs. Lena McClain, Mr. Bruce Douglas, Mr. Arlen Hebner, Mr. Bruce Fore, Mrs. Harvey Stunk and, Mr. Albert Foster, Dr. MacKinlay, Rd. Sherwin
August 9, 1947: A “Cake Festival” was the first fundraiser held to raise funds for the new FCMC; it raised $329.22.
August 1947: Certificate to register name was purchased and permission to solicit funds.
November 25, 1947: Corporation Bylaws adopted.
January 7, 1948: Building Fund Goal set at $100,000.
March 1948: The first meeting held to establish the Fulton County Medical Center
May 17, 1948: FCMC Auxiliary formed
June 6, 1948: Dr. MacKinlay was featured as the cover story in the Pittsburgh Press magazine.
July 8, 1949: Signed contact for Dan Winters to build FCMC.
July 16, 1949: Ground breaking Ceremony held at 2:00 p.m.
September 2, 1950: Dedication of the first hospital building in Fulton County.
October 3, 1950: The first patient to be treated was 3 year old Judy Daniels of Waterfall, just one day before the center was officially open for business. Judy received 3 stitches from Dr. Whitsel after falling from an automobile.
October 4, 1950: FCMC opens its doors with 14 beds, and 10 bassinets.
October 5, 1950: Mrs. Raymond Martz of Hustontown, PA, was the first patient admitted at 4:30 a.m.
October 6, 1950: The first baby born at the center was a 4 lb. 11oz. daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Victor Cutchall of Hustontown, PA delivered by Dr. MacKinlay.
December 21 1950: Auxiliary receives 1,200 jars of food from the local school children for their ingathering of fruits, vegetables, and juices to furnish food for the patients at the new center
July 28, 1951: The first set of twin boys John and Tom born to Mr. and Mrs. John W. Johnston of Needmore. The twin boys were delivered by attending physician Dr. Gerald Lorentz.
October 31, 1951: One year anniversary dinner attended by 250 at the Green Hill Sewing Club.
March 20, 1952: Blood bank began with American Red Cross.
March 20, 1956: Mary Trout was hospitalized for the first time in her life on March 20, 1956, and said it was almost worth being ill to receive such kind treatment. She is with nurses Alice Pittman and Beatrice Barmont.
August 4, 1957: Laying of Corner Stone for annex addition.
March, 2 1958: Dedication Service for annex.
March 28, 1960: The operating fund balance was $29,773.06 and the balance in the debt fund was $628.99.
July 1962: Dr. R.C. McLucas delivered baby number 2,500 at the Fulton County Medical Center.
July 27, 1964: Administrator Bruce Douglas stated in the annual membership meeting "in 1950 we built the original center, and in 1957 we added a wing, all without federal help, and plans are now underway to add more rooms, this also without federal aid."
July 1964: Since the opening of FCMC 14 years prior, there were 14,349 patients admitted; 3,239 babies born.
June 27, 1966: FCMC approved for Medicare patients by the Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare.
July 25, 1966: Buchart Associates named architects for the new expansion project.
July 1967: Completed plans for a new North wing submitted.
July 1968: Total cost of the expansion set at $435,666.
July 28, 1969: New expansion 90 percent complete.
November 16, 1969: Open House and tour for the new wing of FCMC. A new laboratory, emergency room, OB delivery suite, and operating room/recovery suite were added.
December 1970: Medical Staff agreed to start making rounds at Decker nursing home.
February 1971: Statistics for the month of February 1971: Total number of lab tests was 2,002; 14 blood transfusions; 327 x -rays; 152 admissions and 144 discharges.
April 1971: 977 ER visits since February of 1971.
July 1973: Inhalation Therapy Department started.
1973-1974: The FCMC Auxiliary held a holiday mart to raise funds for the new extension.
January 1974: Dr. William Milroth of Pittsburgh was welcomed by the community to practice medicine in McConnellsburg.
February 1975: Hospital opened skilled care unit. FCMC now offered three levels of care; acute, skilled and long term care.
November 1976: FCMC becomes a 102-bed institution, 54 LTC beds and 48 newly renovated acute care beds.
November 14, 1976: Dedication ceremony held for the $2.9 Million, 22-month construction project.
January 1977: Semi-private room rate for was increased from $65 to $85.00 and private increased from $70.00 to $105.00.
January 27, 1977: PA State Police chopper assists FCMC medical staff in saving infant's life.
1977: The FCMC Physical Therapy Unit opens.
July 24, 1978: recommended starting salary of LPN - $3.70
May 29, 1980: In a study of the centers operations, MEDCO (Management Effectiveness and Development Consulting Organization) reported to Fulton County commissioners that FCMC was one of the most effective and efficiently run businesses they have come across.
June 30, 1980: Dr. James E. Witt, D.O. returned to private practice at 126 North Second Street.
November 18, 1980: FCMC marks 30th anniversary.
January 15, 1983: Skilled nursing room rate $55.00 per day.
October 4, 1986: Mammography equipment delivered to FCMC, first patient examinations performed October 13th.
September 28, 1987: The specialty clinic as an organized function was initiated.
August 24, 1987: Sue Peck, D.O. and Steve Shepard D.O. made an offer to establish a practice in FCMC service area.
February 22, 1988: FCMC auxiliary donated $5,000 toward the renovation of the Physical Therapy department.
January 25, 1988: New ultrasound machine leased for $68,900.
April 24, 1989: New GE X-ray machine purchased for $197,000 will provide faster and more precise images for film examination.
February 26, 1990: OB room renovations complete; Med/Surgical rooms begun with completion date anticipated in June.
June 1, 1991: Dr. James Rintoul began as Medical Director of the Emergency Room.
September 1991: Board voted to renovate the Auxiliary /Snack Room and move the Emergency Room to that area. Cost estimated at $100,000.
October 26, 1992: New Emergency Room complete and open for business.
March 22, 1993: Board voted on an increase of $10/more per day for both LTC units. Effective May 1, 1993 $87/day in Intermediate and $94/day in skilled.
January 1996: Board of Directors voted to proceed with the new building project.
November 1996: Mr. & Mrs. Andy Washabaugh donated 22 acres of land for the new building.
February 1996: FCMC received notice that they were the beneficiary of a charitable trust contribution from the Estate of Thad and Elsie Shimer. FCMC will receive the net interest income annually from approximately $1 million.
1998: The Auxiliary funds the purchase of a 3-chip Video Camera System.
December 22, 1998 & October 19, 1999: Community mourns the loss of two beloved family physicians - Dr. R.C. McLucas and Dr. James Witt.
July 26, 1999: Board heard presentation on feasibility analysis of the replacement facility with recommendation from Gannett Fleming to proceed with the building project.
August 2001: Received Critical Access Hospital (CAH) Designation, resulting in an increased reimbursement status, a major step toward securing FCMC's financial future.
October 2002: JLG committed $1 Million dollars to jumpstart the building project.
October 4, 2004: Gov. Edward G. Rendell awards $3,000,000 to FCMC building Project.
June 2005: Received $1 Million dollar bequest from Cora Grove will.
February 2005: Volunteer Campaign Fundraising committee formed with local Businesswoman Helen Overly as Chairperson.
April 2005: Polly and Bob Shimer bequest $1,475,000.
April 2006: Ground broken for the new FCMC as JLG Industries donates $ 1.5 Million to relieve FCMC of outstanding debt on the old facility located at 216 South First Street.
October 17, 2007: Moving day at the old facility into the new facility started in the early morning hours.
November 14, 2007: Ribbon cutting ceremony at the new Fulton County Medical Center.
November 18, 2007: The New FCMC located at 214 Peach Orchard Road, officially opens for business 6:00 A.M.
June 2008: Former FCMC sold to local developer as FCMC announces plans to consolidate to one campus. The new addition will house Specialty Physician Services, Administration, Accounting, Business Office, Community Relations and Development, The Foundation, Home Care and Managing Information Systems (MIS).
September 2008: Fulton County Medical Center Foundation formed after the formation of a Development Office was established in 2000.
June 30, 2009: Ground-breaking ceremonies of 16,000-square foot Specialty Services building.
June 22, 2010: Ribbon-cutting ceremony of new specialty-services building.
June 24, 2011: The Corner Gift Shop opens inside FCMC.
July 1, 2012: Install of new information system throughout FCMC
March 18, 2013: Auxiliary makes a gift of $20,000 to the FCMC Foundation for the new Wound Care Services.
April 1, 2013: The new Wound Care Services is officially open.
July 1, 2013: A $250,000 three-month Emergency Room Expansion Project launches.
November 1, 2013: The Emergency Room Expansion Project is completed. It features expanded space, care and services and is funded in its entirety by individuals, businesses and organizations. Air Methods LifeNet 8-1 donates GPS Approach System.
May 2014: New MRI system installed
July 2014: Dr. William Milroth's Family Practice and FCMC entered into a collaborative partnership.
March 2015: FCMC receives a 4-star ranking (out of a possible 5 stars) from Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS).
March 2015: With a new logo and name, Team Home Health expanded and serves patients in their homes located in Fulton, Franklin, Bedford, Huntingdon, Blair, Juniata, Mifflin and Center Counties.
August 28, 2015: FCMC commemorated its 65th year of operation with a celebration hosted by the FCMC Foundation, which also produced a 32-page keepsake publication. Guest panelists included Robert Raker (FCMC Supervisor from 1953-58), Vonnie Miller (former Director of Nursing) and Marie Henry (RN), who shared stories and reminisced about their working days at FCMC.
May 2016: FCMC Rehabilitation Services opened a new location in Orbisonia with occupational and physical therapies offered.
June 2016: New patient portal provides easy and secure access to healthcare information.
June 2016: Received a $50,000 grant from PA Department of Health for the construction of a greenhouse and development of a sensory integration program for Long Term Care residents. The greenhouse was dedicated in memory of Eugene Lake, a long-time FCMC employee.
July 2016: Susan G. Komen- Pittsburgh for Breast Health awarded the FCMC Foundation two different grants totaling $40,352. The first was for a Breast Health Advocate position and the second was designated for Spa Days – a new program offered to encourage
October 20, 2016: Groundbreaking for the Center for Advanced Medicine (CAM). As part of the "Moving Forward: The Center for Advanced Medicine" campaign, board members of the Wilbur C. and Betty Lea Henderson Foundation were on hand to present the lead gift of one million dollars for the $20 million project.
October 2017: Phase One of CAM opens with MacDonald’s Pharmacy, Lobby, Fulton Family Practice, Specialty Services, Behavioral Health, IV Infusion, Cardiology/Pulmonology/Radiology
April 2017: Fulton County Medical Center Women’s Imaging Department acquired the newest technology in breast health with a 3D Mammogram.
May 2017: An $800,000 grant was awarded by the Appalachian Regional Commission and the Southern Alleghenies Planning and Development Commission to construct an access road that will open up south side of campus for further development.
September 22, 2017: Jason Hawkins announces his resignation as CEO to take the CAO position for PeaceHealth Peace Harbor Medical Center in Florence, Oregon. Deb Shughart (CFO) and Kim Slee (COO) were named co-CEOs.
March 2018: The Community Health and Wellness Building opens to the public after renovations and construction of the former Family Dollar Store were completed.
March 2018: Both the Medical Center and its Long Term Care facility received a 4-star rating (out of a possible 5 stars) from Hospital Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HCAHPS).
May 2018: Phases Two and Three of CAM opens with Express Care, expanded Lab
May 25, 2018: Michael Makosky named FCMC’s new President & CEO
July 2018: Phase Four of CAM opens with expanded Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies, Gift Shop and the Lunch Box Café
November 1, 2018: FCMC was certified as a Level IV Trauma Center.
April 1, 2019: Southern Huntingdon Medical Center in Orbisonia became a member of the Fulton County Medical Center.
June 17, 2019: Dialysis Care Center opened its doors for the first dialysis patients in Fulton County. The community responded to the “Dollars for Dialysis” three-month campaign as over $101,000 was raised for the construction and renovation of the former Specialty Services area that now houses the treatment center.