Created in 2001, the program has awarded 125 scholarships (dollar amounts ranging from $250 to $2000) totaling over $117,000 to college-bound students and active college students. Several of the students have returned to their hometown to serve their community, whether it's here at Fulton County Medical Center, a private practice or clinic.
In 2016, 17 area students were awarded scholarships totaling $22,250, including six recipients of the Russell C. McLucas, MD, Scholarship.
- Jacob Boehme (Central Fulton) is specializing in Physician Assistant.
- Alexis Mellott (Central Fulton) is specializing in Nursing.
- Arica Carbaugh (Forbes Road) is specializing in Pre-Med.
- Rose Clippinger (Forbes Road) is specializing in Physical Therapy.
- Nathan Leedy (Southern Fulton) is specializing in Physical Therapy.
- Lakyn Morton (Southern Fulton) is specializing in Sonography.
Eleven local college students included:
- Braylin Hohman is specializing in Nursing.
- Madison Mellott is specializing in Nursing.
- Taelor Morton is specializing in Radiography.
- Paige Sechrist is specializing in Pre-Med.
- Andrew Smith is specializing in Pharmacy.
- Billie Brown (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Nurse Practitioner.
- Jordan Kaminsky (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Occupational Therapy.
- Ethan Stern (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
- Elaina Truax (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Doctor of Medicine.
- Devin Welsh (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
- Hannah Young (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
"Once again this year we had a fantastic pool of student applications," said Loy Garber, who serves as the chairman of the Foundation's Scholarship Committee. "I am impressed by the body of work these students exhibited during the selection process. They outlined their goals and are preparing themselves quite well for a career in the health care profession."
"These students will be our health care professionals of tomorrow," said Mike Straley, Executive Director of the FCMC Foundation. "Several of them have family members in the profession, and some have ties to Fulton County Medical Center. Many have job shadowed here and came away with a sense of wanting to help others. Some said they wanted to return to the area once they completed their studies so they could serve our local community."
"Our goal is to increase the Foundation's Scholarship Fund in an effort to better assist our future health care professionals," said Straley. "We have fundraisers throughout the year to help support our scholarship program. We also encourage outright financial gifts throughout the year."
You can assist our scholarship program by making a tax deductable donation either online or by mail. Please denote your contribution to the FCMC Foundation Scholarship Fund.
Send it to:
214 Peach Orchard Road
McConnellsburg, PA 17233
2017 Application Now Available!
FCMC Foundation Scholarship Committee:
Loy Garber (chairman) - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Trudy Everhart - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Mike Straley - FCMC Foundation Executive Director
Helen Overly - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Becky Greenawalt - Quality Program Coordinator
Annette Sanders - Director of Education/Risk Management
Sally Gresty - Former FCMC Clinical Educator
Chris Boryan (facilitator) - FCMCF Grants and Donor Relations Manager
DID YOU KNOW:
A great way to honor a member of the FCMC Medical Staff (former or current) is to create an endowed scholarship fund in honor or memory of the individual. Click on planned giving or contact Mike Straley for more information.