Created in 2001, the program has awarded 125 scholarships (dollar amounts ranging from $250 to $2000) totaling over $117,000 to college-bound students and active college students. Several of the students have returned to their hometown to serve their community, whether it's here at Fulton County Medical Center, a private practice or clinic.
In 2017, 18 area students were awarded scholarships totaling $32,500, including seven recipients of the Russell C. McLucas, MD, Scholarship.
- McKenzie Garlock (Central Fulton)
- Destiny Kline (Southern Fulton)
- Bronwyne Mellott (Central Fulton)
Two high school students from the Class of 2017 included:
- Carl Potter (Southern Fulton) is specializing in Pre-Med.
- Christopher Wilson (Southern Fulton) is specializing in Pre-Med.
Six local college students included:
- Mandy Cook is specializing in Occupational Therapy.
- Alenda Fischer is specializing in Pre-Med.
- Rebecca Ford is specializing in Nursing.
- Sarah Hollinshead is specializing in Exercise Science.
- Ian Lancaster is specializing in Nursing.
- Madison Mellott is specializing in Nursing.
Seven local graduate students were awarded the Russell C. McLucas Scholarship including:
- Billie Brown (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Nurse Practitioner.
- Joelle Kaminsky (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Pharmacy.
- Erin Peck Pistner (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Clinical Social Work/Behavioral Health.
- Andrew Smith (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Pharmacy.
- Ethan Stern (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
- Devin Welsh (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
- Hannah Young (McLucas Scholarship recipient) is specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
Erin Peck Pistner
The Fulton County Medical Center Foundation awarded its first nursing scholarships in honor of Betty Lea Henderson through the Wilbur C. and Betty Lea Henderson Foundation.
The scholarship is awarded to qualified graduating high school seniors
"All three recipients are excited about their field of study," said Loy Garber, who chairs the FCMC Foundation Scholarship Committee. "We are honored to award these scholarships, made possible by the Henderson Foundation’s generous gift."
Betty Lea Washabaugh was raised in Fulton County. After attending school and working locally, Betty Lea went off to nursing school in Philadelphia. She completed her training at Philadelphia General Hospital, two blocks from Drexel Institute of Technology where Wilbur was attending school. Wilbur was a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Army in World War II, having fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a distinguished member of the 82nd Airborne Division, 508th Parachute Infantry. The two met at a weekend dance. After marriage, she spent most of her time as a school nurse.
"Betty Lea was a nurse, so this scholarship gift to Fulton County Medical Center is especially gratifying to my family," said Andy Washabaugh of his sister and a Trustee with the Henderson Foundation. "I know the Fulton County Medical Center Foundation is helping support healthcare careers in our community with their scholarship program. With this annual gift, that support will only get stronger and keep Betty Lea’s legacy alive in our community."
The FCMC Foundation also awarded two additional scholarships: The Clair and Dorothy Miller Scholarship was given to Carl Potter (Southern Fulton), who is majoring in Biology with plans to attend medical school. A general Foundation scholarship was awarded to Christopher Wilson (Southern Fulton), who is pursuing a
"This year, the scholarship committee received a record number of applications from high school and college students within the medical center’s service area," said Mike Straley, Executive Director of the FCMC Foundation. "The committee focuses not only on a student’s academic record, extracurricular activities
You can assist our scholarship program by making a tax
Send it to:
214 Peach Orchard Road
McConnellsburg, PA 17233
2018 Application Now Available!
FCMC Foundation Scholarship Committee:
Loy Garber (chairman) - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Trudy Everhart - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Mike Straley - FCMC Foundation Executive Director
Helen Overly - FCMC Foundation Board Member
Becky Greenawalt - Quality Program Coordinator
Brenda Ross - Director of Education
Sally Gresty - Former FCMC Clinical Educator
Chris Boryan (facilitator) - FCMCF Grants and Donor Relations Manager
DID YOU KNOW:
A great way to honor a member of the FCMC Medical Staff (former or current) is to create an endowed scholarship fund in honor or memory of the individual. Click on planned giving or contact Mike Straley for more information.